By the first Friday I can say we were a little tired from class. I spent the first week getting to bed around 11:30 each night. (You’ll see the dramatic change for the next week). On Saturday morning we loaded up on a bus for Aarhus, the regional city about 50km away. Before I describe our weekend there, I must tell you that the Danish countryside is fantastic. The weather these weeks was not so good. Rain, the 2nd snow fall of the winter, rain, a little sun and blue sky, rain, wind and well…rain. But the rolling country is dotted with dark forests, muddy fields, winding rivers and beautiful homes. Traditional Danish architecture is such a treat, simple A-frame roofs, although usually pitched higher and more exotic looking, sometimes with a dull edge on the ends. The special ones were homes with old-fashioned, thatched roofs and white walls. But there is something beautifully quaint in the practicality.
Aarhus is a port city on the edge of Jutland, not large but respectable. The group stayed in the Radisson Hotel in town (my room decorated in the Japanese style - typical Danish, ya know). After checking in our bags, we took off for downtown, trying to get some shopping done before the shops closed. Grundfos gave us 500 DKK each (about $100) for food, although a good deal went to shopping I am sure. A central pedestrian zone contained the shops, and I didn’t really buy anything. We split up into smaller groups, and I just enjoyed the company, conversations and sights. Like the Domkirke (cathedral) with white walls and Danish art. Or the port, where the navy was putting on a recruiting fair. After a heavy dose of walking, our small group; Stephane, Lilya (Russia), Daniela (Portugal) and Ioannis (Greece) stopped in a recommended restaurant on the canal, Café Viggo, where we ate Danish blue cheese hamburgers with roasted potatoes. Oh yum! I get hungry just thinking about it.
Our plan was to meet back at 1:30 at the hotel and make our way to Den Gamle By (pronounced dane gam-la bee) – or The Old Town – a recreated Danish city with buildings from the 18th and 19th Centuries collected from all over the country. A short walk later into the cold wind, and we arrived. I loved this place!
I do have Viking blood running through my veins, demonstrated in my irascibility and propensity for getting myself in trouble. Although as of yet I have not gone on expedition, hit a girl over the head and dragged her back home. Despite what you might think, Amy came quite willingly. But I suppose that blood felt at home in this old town. We walked into a variety of homes and businesses. 
My favorites were the apothecary, toy shop and clock maker. A good 1/3rd of my trip’s photos were taken here. I am always a sucker for the past, nostalgia wrapped in mystery. Even if it isn’t my own. In the least, this stroll down muddy lanes of the past’s echoes with growing friends was a real treat.
That evening we tried typical Danish food, eating at Brazilia, a rodizio restaurant serving a variety of meats. I think by meat 6 I was pretty full. Some of us went on to an Irish pub and dancing, myself and others went back to relax and/or watch a movie.
Sunday morning I found the local congregation to attend church, only a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Church was delightful, it is amazing that despite the language and miles, I can still feel at home. I felt so comfortable and at peace there, and seeing as it was a day for members to stand and offer their own thoughts or testimonies, I stood and gave my own. Luckily someone was able to translate for me, although I did get a little Danish in; “Jeg hedder Br Pond. Jeg kommer fra New Jersey, America. Jeg er her somedfromming. Jeg kan ikke Dansk.” (My name is Mr Pond. I come from New Jersey, America. I am here on business and I don’t know Danish.) At least the American missionaries were glad to see me. One thought though. Before church I watched three or four children playing, typical Danish – very blond, blue eyes and very cute. I love to see that same innocence and love I see in my girls so far away. It made my eyes water thinking of them.
After a brunch in town – at Café Viggo again, at least I know they take credit cards (although it was one of the best meals I had there; fresh, organic yoghurt, cheese, fruit, etc.) – we headed back to the academy. The bus ride back was MUCH quieter, with all but 3 of us asleep.

Aarhus is a port city on the edge of Jutland, not large but respectable. The group stayed in the Radisson Hotel in town (my room decorated in the Japanese style - typical Danish, ya know). After checking in our bags, we took off for downtown, trying to get some shopping done before the shops closed. Grundfos gave us 500 DKK each (about $100) for food, although a good deal went to shopping I am sure. A central pedestrian zone contained the shops, and I didn’t really buy anything. We split up into smaller groups, and I just enjoyed the company, conversations and sights. Like the Domkirke (cathedral) with white walls and Danish art. Or the port, where the navy was putting on a recruiting fair. After a heavy dose of walking, our small group; Stephane, Lilya (Russia), Daniela (Portugal) and Ioannis (Greece) stopped in a recommended restaurant on the canal, Café Viggo, where we ate Danish blue cheese hamburgers with roasted potatoes. Oh yum! I get hungry just thinking about it.
Our plan was to meet back at 1:30 at the hotel and make our way to Den Gamle By (pronounced dane gam-la bee) – or The Old Town – a recreated Danish city with buildings from the 18th and 19th Centuries collected from all over the country. A short walk later into the cold wind, and we arrived. I loved this place!
I do have Viking blood running through my veins, demonstrated in my irascibility and propensity for getting myself in trouble. Although as of yet I have not gone on expedition, hit a girl over the head and dragged her back home. Despite what you might think, Amy came quite willingly. But I suppose that blood felt at home in this old town. We walked into a variety of homes and businesses. 
My favorites were the apothecary, toy shop and clock maker. A good 1/3rd of my trip’s photos were taken here. I am always a sucker for the past, nostalgia wrapped in mystery. Even if it isn’t my own. In the least, this stroll down muddy lanes of the past’s echoes with growing friends was a real treat.
That evening we tried typical Danish food, eating at Brazilia, a rodizio restaurant serving a variety of meats. I think by meat 6 I was pretty full. Some of us went on to an Irish pub and dancing, myself and others went back to relax and/or watch a movie.Sunday morning I found the local congregation to attend church, only a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Church was delightful, it is amazing that despite the language and miles, I can still feel at home. I felt so comfortable and at peace there, and seeing as it was a day for members to stand and offer their own thoughts or testimonies, I stood and gave my own. Luckily someone was able to translate for me, although I did get a little Danish in; “Jeg hedder Br Pond. Jeg kommer fra New Jersey, America. Jeg er her somedfromming. Jeg kan ikke Dansk.” (My name is Mr Pond. I come from New Jersey, America. I am here on business and I don’t know Danish.) At least the American missionaries were glad to see me. One thought though. Before church I watched three or four children playing, typical Danish – very blond, blue eyes and very cute. I love to see that same innocence and love I see in my girls so far away. It made my eyes water thinking of them.
After a brunch in town – at Café Viggo again, at least I know they take credit cards (although it was one of the best meals I had there; fresh, organic yoghurt, cheese, fruit, etc.) – we headed back to the academy. The bus ride back was MUCH quieter, with all but 3 of us asleep.
HRP
No comments:
Post a Comment