Dedication to Nothing in Particular

"Jack of all trades,
Master of none,
Though often better,
than a master of one"
"aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada"

I do have a love of everything, a desire to learn it all. Call me a polymath or Ren Man. So I was delighted to watch this video featuring a lecture by Adam Savage - of Mythbusters fame - at "Last Hope" a hacker conference in NYC this summer.


Although I am not particularly interested in main topic - the Maltese Falcon replica - I am fascinated by his methods and desires. His drive to find solutions, learn, and make things work truly teaches. (Although his work to create his own Dodo bird skeleton is fascinating and intriguing) The lecture and follow-up questions really are a treat, a highly entertaining listen. His work in props, Mythbusters and general crafting is incredible.

But in case you do not want to watch the whole piece, I can give you some of the learning points:
  • He uses an imagination/future projects folder on his computer that puts together large amounts of photos and items for things he finds interesting and worth pursuing
  • Desire to learn new processes, skills, and hobbies to pursue a goal
  • But part of the goal is learning the processes, skills and hobbies
  • Unending pursuit of perfecting the project

Of course I also love Mythbusters, so the look in to the behind-the-scenes activities is interesting. Of course now I'm beginning to fillout my own folder and links. They are already there - already were - but I'm not afraid to let it get bigger now.

HRP

2 comments:

Flying Cloud said...

This just reminds me of our little Harly growing up. You had an interest in everything and took things apart too. I hope that you will always continue to build that file and never stop learning. (I love the Mythbusters. Over here we get Brainiacs. Not as good, except in the blowing up thingy.)

Critchlow said...

Myth Busters rock- but I have to say they were much cooler when they had little funding- a lot more imaginitive and they did things you could do. Now they have tons of money they do stuff I won't ever be able to do. My favorite- flipping a bus from jet exhaust.