Puerto Rico


As I'm sitting on a plane, bound for home, I'm using the time during my crammed flight, to pen some thoughts for my blog.
I must have caught some island bug while on this rock of Puerto Rico. The oppressive heat and matching humidity, the tropical trees, sounds and culture are all addictive.
My time here was limited, but the mixture of history permeating the narrow streets of old San Juan, the newer Latin flavor and the sticky-hot atmosphere that hold it all together like glue are intoxicating. The dinners with coworkers were long and late - but the company, revelry and atmosphere brought back shadows of the banquets in Spanish colony days, drizzled with Caribbean sauce.
I walked the early-morning, sun-kissed streets of old San Juan - sparsely populated with early risers on a 'constitution' or those off to work. The shadows of nearly ancient trees and vines, bright colored house fronts, and cobblestone streets injected an old world flair - in a new world setting. A stroll along Castillo del Morro lured emotions of power, safety as also fear to the surface. Trying my hand at amateur photography, I sought artistic angles among the forts defensive, angular battlements.
Yet the joys of experiencing Puerto Rico, from the Coqui (frogs), the tanned & beautiful Latin women, to the tropical verdure, brought a pang of discomfort - almost pain. I missed my sweetheart Amy. Even in an ever bustling morning city, I felt alone.
Damp from the walk, I returned to my hotel, trying to wash the pain away in the blue pool and waterfalls. But the dull feeling returned. Many people come to Puerto Rico and fall in love - with the exotic island, or with strangers and friends. Some find an exotic island gal to love - temporarily at least. I cam e to Puerto Rico and did fall in love with the island. But I did realize again - for the millionth time, I was in love with the most exotic, beautiful and occasionally mysterious women I know - my wife. Amy brings a little flare, plenty of the 'Latin-like' female 'spice,' and drizzles my life with excitement.
I can't wait to return here with her, and fall hopelessly in love - again - while walking the streets of old San Juan.
HRP

No comments: