An Anniversary of Thanksgiving

My thoughts for most of yesterday - when I wasn't bogged down by inane telephone calls from needy field people - was focused on gratitude.
A year ago yesterday, our little Grace had her life-saving surgery. I remember getting ready so early, leaving our sleeping Abby with family, and beginning a long drive in the dark to NYC. Amy and I tried to joke and be light hearted, but we couldn't help but think of the upcoming surgery.
I will always remember that morning. We spent the time holding and singing to Grace, just enjoying the life she was beginning to shine as she had grown stronger. And then we just tried to distract her from the fact she had not eaten in quite a while - the doctors having taken her off food before the surgery. Oh the little cries were so sad.
And then the time came...Amy and I made a long walk with her portable bed, down an elevator and into a very cool surgery wing. It was almost not real. Until we reached the doors of the operation room. You could see the cool blue and airy room as the double doors were swinging. The anesthesiologists met us, and kindly told us it was time. Then came one of the hardest times of my life. I had to kiss my daughter goodbye and hand her over to the doctors. Just trusting in them and the Lord.
After some recovery from our emotions we began the wait. The surgeon spoke with us before he began. And then we spent the time with family in the waiting room. Joking, telling stories, but all anxiously watching the doors for word.
And then the blessing came - everything went well and she was coming up.
I feel so grateful for our little miracle. As I looked onto her bruised, and healing body I was so happy for the blessing of having her, and now the hope of a healthy life.
We have been truly blessed with two beautiful daughters, now both very healthy. I sat down with Grace yesterday to explain why the day was special...I don't think she understood what I told her - but she understands the same thing I do, that she is loved. Our little miracle has taught me the same thing, I am loved too.

HRP

No comments: