Late V-Day Posting

I’d like to take this Valentine moment to share a little about my wife. (That’s share a thought about her, not share her Edwin!!) Perhaps I could mention my version (i.e. the real version) of how we came to be – but I don’t want to incite a riot at home (the little girls are apt to side with the female revolutionaries).
But why Amy?
Amy and I were friends my senior year of high school, so I knew her when I went to college and fell in and out of the weekly loves of my life. When I spent time in Germany – in the non-dating world of missionary work – my work companions had many conversations about our perfect dream girl. And of course we paid obligatory attention to her personality traits and hobbies, while discussing physical attributes. And I can honestly say – with no bias – that I described Amy. Perhaps one or two traits are different – Amy’s definitely a bit more feisty than I could have dreamed of imagining – but it’s all good. I used to wonder if I knew the one I’d marry – and racked my brain for who it could be. Turned out I did… the best kept secret of my heart.
And after a brief dating spell, we found ourselves involved with other people (I use that term loosely Steve-o!! ;) ). During this time, as things became rougher in my relationship, I could only think back to Amy and the empty feeling in my stomach that I let the good one get away.
Well…fate, destiny or whatever did its work and here we are together. 4 and a half years. 5 Valentine’s Days. I don’t think I’ve had a V-Day where I’ve been poorer…but I’m glad they are with her. I couldn’t have picked a more perfect wife (well…she could have been rich). I love the good days, and on the bad ones, the fact that I can fall asleep next to her makes them not so bad.
Years from now – I hope it turns to 50 V-Days – I know I will feel the same way (even old, wrinkly and shriveled). But she is the Valentine I had all those years, whether I knew our fate or not. All those wasted efforts before (and that includes writing French poetry to a girl!) were not in fact wasted, they let me love my true Valentine. The one who will get flowers for years to come, and a whole planet of the them when we have to spend forever together. And I imagine we’ll still lay in bed together, involved in a cross word and reading a book, and I’ll lean over tickle her neck and then kiss my sweetheart.

Happy Valentine’s Day Amy.

Harland

No comments: