For Christmas, our family penned some memories of our Judy. I add the few words I wrote for her. I hope they offer some idea of what she meant to us all.
With the window shade drawn down, I closed my eyes, blocked out the sound of the jet engines and focused my thoughts. Returning from my trip through Utah, I replayed my all too brief visit with Judy. A chance to spend some time with a woman who brought comfort and support in my life.
* * *
Before college at BYU, the memories of Judy are intermittent, with trips to Virginia, or spending time with her in Utah. But my time spent at college, away from mom and dad – but not family – taught me the most about my remarkable aunt. Finding myself alone, and a worried teenager, I would make my way to my aunt for some advice and just good-old-fashioned mothering. And since she’d had plenty of experience with teenagers (both her own and the thousands of adopted BYU students), I knew she could help.
“Is Judy in?”
“I’m sorry, she’s in with a student, you can have a seat and wait for another counselor.” The young secretary would tell me.
“But I’m her nephew, I just wanted to say hi.” And I’d get the nod to head back and wait near her door. As soon as the intruding student left her office – always with a look of relief or at least distant financial hope – I’d fly in. Sometimes it was only that initial hug that I really needed. But I’d sit down and we’d chat about school, girls, etc.
Judy took an interest in me. She honestly cared about if I was happy, how I was and who I was. I believe my mother’s greatest feeling of gratitude towards her sister, was that she mothered her children when she was away. It is a testament to the love of family and a charitable heart.
I knew I was at least a time burden for Judy – but she always found some time for me. Whether I spent a Sunday afternoon curled in front of her fireplace, full on another wonderful dinner – or it was a quick whirlwind visit at her office.
When Amy & I were married, I was obviously proud to introduce them. I knew that at our wedding open house, Judy would be happy – as she saw I was. And yet she tirelessly worked at preparing the food and making sure everything went well. It was a statement about who she was – the hard working, backbone of a family, a school, a community.
And our family’s most lasting memory of Judy, is watching her balance our little daughters on her knee. She had the glow of a loving grandmother – although the twins were not hers directly, they were by love. I am so delighted my girls could spend that time with her – and perhaps distantly remember it.
I can’t write in eloquent terms my memories or feelings of my beloved aunt. But I can express my deepest gratitude and love for this wonderful woman. And as we spoke in her living room this December, like so many times before, all she cared for was if I was happy. Yes Judy I am…and a part of it is because she cared.
Harland
1 comment:
check out the daily herald (for utah that is) in the obituaries there is a guestbook with great comments about Judy. Great tribute Harland, it was really touching.
PS-can i get that picture of judy and I from when you came to visit?
Post a Comment