Refresh

It has been a little while since I've actually logged into my blog account and decided to add a couple of notes. This has more to do with my busy schedule and not that I don't have anything interesting to say - at least in my humble opinion.
I could comment on the recent political upsets, or economics or even St. Patrick's Day, but I'll forbear and spare you all.
I recently picked up two books for reading that I'll share. I'm rereading the book Napolean's Button: 17 Molecules that Changed History. Basically this is the greatest book for random facts about chemicals. It covers several molecules (17 to be exact) that have heavily influenced history because of its unique structure. It even offers some postulating (although not nearly enough) about some 'what if' scenarios regarding chemical structure. I know - sounds dry, but it really isn't. For example, it talks about vitamin C - ascorbic acid - and its role in preventing scurvy (a disease that devestated the sailing industry for centuries). If Vasco de Gama had headed some word to treat scurvy using vitamin C then the Protugeuse would have extended their empire sufficiently and the world would be different than the Dutch, English history has made it. Or did you know b/c of cloves and a tiny island in the Pacific we speak english in NY and not Dutch? Neat stuff.

The second book is Pride and Prejudice, which I picked up again after reading a 1/3rd of it in High School and watching the recently released new movie version with Kiera Knightley. (An excellent movie by-the-way). The book is a better read this time (this side of HS) and I'm enjoying it. But I must judiciously defend myself from the fits of resorting to language of the Isles that increasingly punctuates my discourse.
HRP

2 comments:

Adi said...

not to self: pride and prejudice is an ENGLISH movie what is this "Stolz und Vorurteil" Anyways, I am glad that you have decided to look towards the light and read a great book-it really is great. and let me guess you read that book with Kaplow?

Bro. Brandon B. said...

Uh... pride and prejudice? Not a fan. I'd rather see Dracula 3000! (a coworker informed me that in it the actors are traveling to the planet transylvania) Anyways, just leaving a comment. Oh yeah, I actually updated mine little corner of the internet too! Who would've thought?