
I understand that today has a somewhat ominous air around it - seeing as it 6-6-06. But I really see it as D-Day - a moment for remembrance.
I suppose in the grand scheme of military history the event isn't a huge one. But it perfectly stands out as an example of America's gallantry, honor and sacrifice to defend freedom. I've walked the beaches of Normandy and could only imagine the horror and chaos as those brave boys fought from broken landing boats to the shale wall. And then the arduous task of crawling across a debris and body littered beach to reach the relative safety of the cliffs. Only to continue to the next task. Hundreds of heroes were created that day. And thousands lost. Each story, each account I find fascinating, as I learn about their portion, their little beach. Individual wars fought from feelings of honor and pure desire for survival and triumph.

I've walked the rows of the dead, and saw their sacrifice. And although each loss touches me, two stand out. First are the unknown dead, their crosses marked with "But known to God". The other are those that died shortly after D-Day. I feel a poignant loss for those who survived the hell of the beach to only die in the hedgerows.

But I am grateful they went. They arose from the ranks of the average and became heroes. As Eisenhower said, "I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. But it took the "blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking."
HRP
No comments:
Post a Comment