It’s hectic week of airports, highways and all the wear-and-tear of traveling. Work has never exacted quite this toll on me – requiring a new view of the world traveler that is me. Wednesday saw me leave NJ and head back out West – a return both physical and across memories. My heart remembered anew the pleasure viewing the mountain vistas, the dry breezes in the hot sun, and the friendly people. Although this trip took me to Elko, Nevada – a place I haven’t (or many others) been before, a part of my heart, forged in experience, felt at home.
The job also took me the hour out of Elko to a new office – the gold mine. One of the largest in the world to be exact. A dusty road, to a dusty mine site – with massive piles of earth, where gold is leached into cyanide solutions, massive multi-storied rock crushers and collection tanks and even the fabled (I thought) 350 ton dump truck, with 12” tires and a dizzying climb to the cab. We walked to entire process, and I was amazed at the technology under the collecting Nevada dust and mud. And I was heartened by our stream of chemical flowing into their tanks and the solutions we provided – i.e. sold. All the pleasures $650 an ounce brings!
A gold mine gave way to the Elko Mining Convention – the largest event this side of Wendover! It seemed that the entire town came out to collect the cheap trinkets and candy vendors gave out as they tried to hawk their wares – like a mid-summer Christmas. I saw booths selling trucks, fire extinguishers, jewelry and chewing tobacco. But the people were warm, the steaks delicious and the environment inspiring. As if the prerequisite for hacking out a city in the desert was determination, a smile and a kind word.
Time gave way to reality, and I made my way back across the Salt Flats in a bumpy, loud twin prop plane, landing in a drizzling Salt Lake. Utah had long been a home away from home, the place where I loved family, learning and nature. I spent the short weekend with my brother, his family and my sister. There is just something the tugs on the strings of forever when you are with family. Like every conversation goes deeper as you mine for gold. Little ingots of precious moments you’ll cherish forever.
Like seeing my Grandfather Lynn for most likely the last time. As he held my hand in gratitude of my visit and reverence to his legacy. Or praying with my grandmother as we prayed for our far-flung family in times of personal trial. Or playing little games with my darling niece as we sat in the back of the family van. Or enjoying a burger with my brother and sister.
All in all…I say I came back a little richer.
HRP
2 comments:
Your trip was interesting to read about, good thing you got to see grandpa! I hear Utah is a wonderful place for many. Nature and family values intact.
That's right you loved seeing your sister. Over time it is always rewarding to see family...but maybe next time you can come when family isn't sick. (This is becoming a sickening trend!)
Post a Comment