Giving Back



I've always felt slightly guilty about my support for the troops. It's a product of knowing in my heart I support our overseas soldiers, and the lack of opportunities to actively dedicate myself to it. As I don't forsee myself picking up a rifle anytime soon, nor buying $1000 worth of war bonds, I fail to commit to my convictions. This weekend I got the chance.

One of the young men at church is leading his Eagle Scout project through Operation Shoebox. Operation Shoebox collects items, creates care packages and send them to our troops. For two hours I stood in front of the local grocery store handing out shopping lists, a la flyers, to shoppers, in hopes they'd buy the odd chapstick, Gold Bond powder or powdered drink. It was quite sucessful, and despite a reluctance from Shoprite management to work a little better with us, we collected quite a bit of items.

Service has always been an inspiring activity. A chance to get outside of yourself and be a part of something bigger. I'm grateful I could do a little for our troops. I remember doing the same years ago during the first Gulf War.

In case you think I'm getting too full of myslef, I share a little bit of embarrasment. I found this pic surfing last week. See, in fourth grade a friend of a friend, asked me and a classmate to pose for a photo. The pics were used for a cover art painting on a young adult novel. Never read the book, but if you judge a book by its cover, it must be pretty good. And in case your a smart-alec, I'm the one on the right.
HRP

3 comments:

Adi said...

What a sec! I have no you..let's see all my life and I don't think I EVER KNEW THAT! What a music songbook and a book cover. Utterly ridiculous! (Well more jealous..heeehehe)

HRP said...

i no misunderstand adi.
I harland
you adi
let's mizpel much.

Adi said...

Holy cow! I must have been pretty messed up that day! Yikes. But you get the idea.