Island embarrassment

Adriel was hoping that I would share more humor in my posts, and luckily for her I can expound on my recent trip to Trinidad. Yes, it was supposed to be an innocent trip to the islands, a quick taste of Trini life and curry. Unfortunately the smallish seminar turned disaster for poor me.

The local reps were holding a seminar for their customers and prospects, a 200 person gathering in a local hotel. Day one was easy, listening to other speeches, meeting with people, eating some odd mixes of Carib fare (including goat curry that did some heavy work on me the next morning). Day 2 I was on the hotseat, preparing for a post-lunch talk. Everything was going smoothly; I'd gone through the presentation, prepped, and practiced. Just needed to get through lunch.

This was an invitation for disaster. In the corner of the ballroom were the buffet lines, offering curry, vegetarian and Hindu dishes. I grabbed some veggie soup, set it down and returned for my soup spoon. Picking it up off the soup, card table I sensed the table beginning a disastrous fall. In slow motion it began to shift, and then suddenly the legs went out from under it and a loud crash accentuated the new pile of soup, broken bowls and embarrassment.

Cue Harland for his presentation. Wesley asked if everyone got enough soup in my introduction. I at least could let them know that I distrusted the soup and was trying to save them all. I did say that being one of three white guys in the crowd, so hiding was not an option. Oh well, the ice was broken and I went on to deliver a rousing lecture.

If that wasn't bad enough, on the flight home the Trini, older woman next to me got up to go to the bathroom. I thought it a good time to go also. One lavatory was occupied, the other vacant. I opened the vacant door to only find my neighbor on the john. So much for an easy flight home.

Harland

No comments: