Cooking Through the Holiday

I do not know what makes a holiday for you. Those small things that turn a day off and no mail into a truly wonderful, heart warming experience. Over the years it has been several things. Perhaps lots of morning presents on Christmas, or coming home from college.
Despite the holiday or the age I have come to find it is the simple things that make me feel at home. And this Thanksgiving was served up with a large dollop of warm feelings and familial, emotional hugs. It was a house with guests that come and go. Homemade meals on the stove that filled the house with smells. A house filled with laughter.
I made Thanksgiving dinner; a plan, a list, preshopping, advanced prep and the perfect combination of from scratch and artful display. I love gourmet, and bold - interesting flavors. But we did have a traditional dinner. Turkey, stuffing, candied yams, green bean casserole, rolls and mashed potatoes. Of course I translated this into...well...I'd call it magic. (Yes I'm being blatantly self horn-tooting, but what the hey). Everything was from scratch, and a lot of fun to put together. I learned that scratch doesn't mean hard or long. I put those basic scientific principles of the kitchen to work.

Brining and rubbing the turkey with a citrus rub. The BEST apple, sage and bacon stuffing with pumpernickel and country white bread (and the best description is not min ;o ). And the delicious pumpkin cheesecake - oh wow! The best balance of pumpkin pie and cheesecake. I admit, it is so satisfying to watch the faces of delight as they eat what you create. Someone even told me I was their culinary role model. Now that's a quick way to enlarge your head.

So what else made the week fine? By the numbers...

1 congressman’s son
2 incredibly embarrassing, but ridiculously humorous occasions (that’s what she said)
1:00AM average bedtime
800 to -100 score vs Amy on Wii fishing
10 well-fed guests for Thanksgiving
12 guests in and out of the door
56 from scratch waffles with whipping cream
144 multi-colored Christmas bulbs to deck the beautiful tree
6 delightful days with out leaving the house
Catching up on 6 months with friends
10 victory points to win Settlers of Cataan (1 Harland : 1 Adi)
Our happy family of 4 that will always make a holiday no matter where I am
500 sold Christmas cards by Amy & Nikki
518,400 seconds of just family, friendship, love and laughter

I hope yours was as delightful as mine.

HRP

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I like the 500 cards sold part... woo hoo!