Gratitude to Man Up!


The last several weeks have taxed my patience and energy to some extent, as I have faced some tremblings and turbulence at work. It has not made life easy, and definitely has a tendency to want to sap my excitement, cheer and fervor. My company is closing the support center for my product line in the South and moving operations to other locations, basically laying off 10 or so friends of mine. This has been a difficult change to swallow, despite a clear understanding of the longterm vision and financial sheets. I visited the location two weeks ago, several small tokens of appreciation in tow (I bought some personally selected books - fine literature - for everyone there). It was a bit morose and you could sense the edge of anger and frustration. An atmosphere that almost rains depressive feelings.

In talking with a good friend there, someone I see as a knowledge mentor, a fatherly figure, we discussed peoples' frustrations and anger (not specifically to that center or our company). He reminded me of how lucky we are. Family healthy? You have a good job (or prospects)? Nice home? That is a lot to be thankful for. I've thought about this a good deal the last two weeks, especially as I find no matter how dragging the workdays have been - multiple flights, delays, meetings, good and bad news - I have had several of the most incredible weekends of my life.

Weekends that are not spectacular or expensive, but so rewarding. Laughter and games with good friends, playtime and giggles with children, cuddles and kisses with my wife. Contemplative and relaxing moments with myself. Yard work to touch up our beautiful home. Dinners with family. We celebrated Memorial Day in good American fashion, complete with pulled pork BBQ, root beers, homemade ice cream and a side of a small town parade. I've had church meetings that were spiritually refilling and rewarding. Watching a young man recovering from a significant head injury prepare and bless the Sacrament (Communion).

My gratitude blooms as I think about these life rafts in a stormy life. Thankful for fallen American soldiers, blessings of food & necessity, love of family, skill to work, family wisdom, companionship of friends.

This month a blog I follow (and have written for) Art of Manliness, is holding a "30 Days to A Better Man" series. A way to focus on manning up no matter our situations (good or bad). I find this an opportune activity to turn my gratitude into real efforts. Making a force for good into work for others and myself. The first activity started today with a focus on your 5 values. An introspection assignment to find what you value. There are some excellent ones.

I posted the 6 values I have previously focused on as part of my personal (career) and family value statements:
Envision * Be * Create
Live * Love * Learn

I look forward to using some frustrations to be a little better. You can find the information yourself here.

HRP

1 comment:

Adi said...

What a great post! Sometimes life begs us to notice the good things!

PS where is the 30 days to woman up! jk :) we are already perfect right? Ok i know what you are all thinking, no wonder she is single hahah!