Half a Man

I have been diligently following up on the 30-Day Manliness Challenge, and we are half way there. Boy - I realize I have a long way to go. And not just 15 more days. It's always a little humbling to realize you aren't half the man you think you are. It's been a good run so far. To this date activities have included:
  • writing values; I have long created my 3 personal (work) and 3 family values as part of representing who I am: Envision. Be. Create and Live. Love. Learn
  • Ask a woman on a date (I did pick my wife). Of course we don't have the money for something extravagant yet.
  • Reconnect with an old friend
  • Write a letter to your father
  • Conduct a self-'boys' exam for cancer (A OK! - TMI I know)
  • Cook dinner

It's been nice focusing a little on self-improvement. I've suggested that we adapt this challenge some for our men's group at church. We need some practical help in this department. We'll see.

The activity for Sunday was to write a Bucket List - that is a list of things to do before you die. And, yes my list could be quite lengthy. Although when I wrote it I tried to this time focus on real experience and treasures rather than things money can buy. I mean at the end of your life, will you really care if you bought that yacht or not? You'll care about personal relationships with it...but not the actual luxury. So here is a small sampling of my list:

  • Build a 'dream' home (that is a home we like - not a giant mansion)
  • Write a book
  • Travel with Amy (including our wave runner tour)
  • Mountain climb in Yosemite
  • Perform in community theatre
  • Attend a cooking course - or train with a chef
  • Go on safari
  • Teach community college or HS
  • Serve a service mission for my church
  • Sail in the Caribbean
  • Build things together with my girls
  • Try a variety of hobbies (mosaics, glass blowing, photography book, remote control airplane, etc.)
  • Create & read through a literature list (build a library)
  • Be a mentor
  • Stay fit
  • Maintain a vegetable garden
  • And now for something completely nerdy: take local science/tech classes for fun & build a period table of the elements box

We'll see how well I do. Here comes another 15 days of manning up.

HRP

2 comments:

Critchlow said...

"Waitin, watchin the clock, its four oclock, its got to stop
Tell him, take no more, she practices her speech
As he opens the door, she rolls over...
Pretends to sleep as he looks her over
She lies and says shes in love with him, cant find a better man...
She dreams in color, she dreams in red, cant find a better man..."

Wives are always the better half. I have learned that even though you may fall short of your expectations and goals it doesn't make you a hypocrite nor does it mean your goals were flawed it just means you keep trying. I really think that is what enduring to the end really is.

Thanks for the post.

Adi said...

Way to go! and yes perhaps TMI, but goodj ob. I really like your list-very commendable.
As for the periodic table box....it's actually super dorky, but still super cool and super useless, but still awesome. Great post!