A Long Time Gone

I remember fondly as a teenager departing on a humid July morning, a heavy framed backpack slung on my thin, bony shoulders, and a soft-brimmed Army hat on my moppy blond hair, and beginning a 50 mile hike along the Appalachian Trail. We left our cars and excitedly began are ascent on the dirt and pebble path, passing into darker woods blocking out the sun. Soon our excited chatter and singing settled in to rhythmic heavy breathing as we took on our burdens with determination. There is a good deal I remember about that that trip - one I often look back to as a definitive moment when I began fully transforming from a boy to a man. But on that first day I can feel the sun breaking away from the trees on my face, a wind picking up from the sharp and verdant valley below as we looked over the rock cliffs to the Delaware Water Gap. A steel-grey band of river, reflecting at times the greens and blues of the surroundings up, passing between worn rocks. We stood and admired the ascent we had completed that first morning. It renewed our spirits, hardened our resolve and rewarded our sweaty brows.
Much has passed by on the river of life since I last wrote, and I need to take a moment to reflect and capture these. Of late I am contemplating where I have been, what makes me me, and setting out a path before me. I recently passed a major mountain peak when I graduated from Lehigh with my MBA. Of course I relished in the proud accomplishment, gaining my greatest pride from the admiration and praise of Amy who stood by me and did so much to help me in this. But then I have come to think about my next steps (that most assuredly do not include further degrees).
I have some projects and promises at work that I am testing, but have begun crafting more fully my own philosophy and goals in life and when and how work will fit into them. Definitely not the other way around. I have also been reading several books (The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and The Art of Manliness - Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man among them, that have made me reflect more on who I want to be. I have my personal brand statement, a recent look at my personal strengths, some new resolves and a three new small commitments to propel me on the path up. These include stolen daily moments to write, contemplate and read scripture; more decisive daily and weekly planning; and taking up Ben Franklin's Virtuous Man commitment and his daily focus on the 13 virtues.
I think this is a great start to harden my resolve, lift my spirits and work to accomplish more meaningful things in life.
More to come I am sure.
HRP
PS - Of all I write of myself, I am completely in humble admiration of my wife. What a marvelous person at my side. She is truly beginning to master amateur photography (she would stress the photography). Our house slowly becomes more of a loving home every day (even though my eyes may not see the places she tackles to improve next) and all this while manufacturing lungs, kidneys and a spleen with our upcoming baby boy. If there is any motivation needed in life to commit to manning up and moving forward - it is the virtue of having a wonderful, and better spouse.

1 comment:

my rebel took over said...

Wow. You have been a busy boy with all that reading. How many books do you have going right now exactly? I can think of at least three.

I'm always happy to hear your future goals do not include another degree. I am glad that you accomplished the one you have though! We'll have plenty of time to hash out those goals and still have time to discuss the wonder that is Photoshop and the latest version of operating system I'm installing on the way to the cottage. Nothing like six hours in the car!

And I'd like to clarify that I'd stress the amateur part, not the photography part. But thanks for the compliments and for not grumbling too much over my occasionally expensive hobby. Speaking of which....there's that awesome Canon camera body I've got my eye on...c'mon...I already have the lens!!! ; )