I must admit that I do have several linguistic pet peeves. For example, I prefer the older quotation to quote. Here is a quotation from Lincoln, you quote Lincoln's words. Or regardless vs. irregardless. That being said, my own writing, and worse, speach, is completely full of mistakes and errors. You are sure to find several in this very post alone. And I'll freely admit I often rely on Microsoft word to correct my grammar or syntax. Although I find myself ignoring those improper sentences often, as I come to love the way I express an idea, regardless of whether my english teacher would approve.
I try to balance succinctness with expoloration of the english langauge. All those beautiful, often forgotten gems of expression. Those tools and phrases that add a touch more meeting, or to steel from the video below, ecstasy to language.
I enjoyed this video of Stephen Fry's recent podcast, set to kinetic typography by Robert's Creations. The text alone is fascinating. I enjoy his points of view and focus on the enjoyment of language first. And his comments on context, convention and circumstance are excellent.
You can also download the poster itself.
HRP
1 comment:
I will admit I don't think my pea sized intellect understands this post, so I will respond just to the linguistics part....i feel this is a secret message about Belinda's speech. jk :)
Post a Comment