The Secret Life of...


Not long ago I listened to a NPR "This I Believe" (yes another one - though I'll spare you another "This Harland Believes"), that sparked my interest in a concept. It first began describing the roles we have in life, especially the ones we as people stress.
I thought about this as I met several new people in the last couple of days. The greetings usually follow the same path, "Hi I'm ...blank..." "Nice to meet you." "So, what do you do for a living?" and on and on.
We define people by what they do for a living. Perhaps by a church calling for Mormons. But I know so and so as a stock broker, or the Bishop, or a housewife. At work, where I spend a huge portion of my awake time, my coworkers are defined by roles, accounting, engineering, pain-in-the-
But there is (usually) so much more to us. This "This I Believe" talked about our secret lives. The things about us that most no one knows about. The things we may define ourselves by. Did you know your coworker was a sucessful DJ at a club for women? Or that they sing kids songs like American Idol stars every night to the kids? The hidden talants lay just below the surface, and so often we cheat ourselves in relationships by never getting to them. It's only job, hometown, maybe marital status (the civilian version of name, rank and serial number).
So, let's play Did-you-know so you get to know me a little better. (You can post so I can get to know you too)
Did you know...
that I have sung in one of the oldest cathedrals in Europe
I'm on the cover of 2 books
I have a passion for cooking - (ok that may be obvious)
I can dance - and unusual dances at that (i.e the Mexican Hat Dance, Irish dancing)
I'm teaching swing dancing to a bunch of 13-17 year olds
I love sailing, but haven't done it in years
dark basements still make me nervous
I have a weakness for buffalo chicken
I'm a Harry Potter nut
I wonder about a lot of what-if's in my life
I should have been a soldier
I try to draw, paint, sculpt, write, play piano, sing and dance, but don't consider I'm really good at any of them
I crave adventure - discovering lost things
I love reading about conspiracy theories
I love my family members much more than they will ever imagine (even all of the in-laws)
I love work...not being tired...but I love the feeling of accomplishment
I can hardly eat a meal without reading...I crave reading

Perhaps that's enough for now...some things are still me secrets.
HRP

1 comment:

Bro. Brandon B. said...

Did you know...
I am a closet environmentalist... yet I don't like most other enviornmentalists?
I am facinated by firearms and plan on being a collector some day (my wife doesn't know this part yet)
I don't care for sunshine - it hurts my eyes and burns my skin
I am a talented painter / drawer, however I rarely if ever do it because of time and I don't think I'm that good.
I tell my wife "I love you" so much it bothers her sometimes... but I do it because everytime I say it I feel happier and happier...
I feel extreeme guilt for things that I have long since repented for... even leftovers from my childhood. When I know I did something wrong, it really stays with me.
Neat topic to post on, Harland!