The Culinary Pinnacle


Last night I hit the culinary summit of my brief and amateur cooking career. We had a couple over for dinner, and my wife was kind enough to let me plan and design our meal. OF course I eat that up (pun intended), the chance to set out and make a gourmet dinner - the art, the taste, the texture etc. And I took full advantage of it - even when she offered to make chocolate chip cookies.

So what did we have? Well I'll give you the full menu selection (which were even printed out and placed on their plates - yes I am a culinary nerd).

New Jersey Heirloom Tomatoes in a Baby Spinach Salad with Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette and Pecorino Romano Cheese Crisps

Herbed, Pan-Seared Chicken Thighs Over Parmesan and Pancetta Risotto Served wtih Sauteed Fresh Green Beans with Sea Salt and Hot Pepper Flakes

New jersey Fresh Peach and Raspberry Crisp with an Oat Topping Served with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and a Variety of Belgian Chocloate Truffles

Assorted Juices and European Sodas Available


We ate outside on the covered deck, with a centerpiece of candles Amy put together. The weather was calm and slightly cool, perfect when the hot cobblers came out for desert. I had premaid the salads, a great mix of green spinach and variety of tomato colors (blue, purple, red, yellow and green), and the chicken. That way during the salad I made the risotto fresh threw on the chicken and viola! main course!

I've never made risotto - and have had a fear of the delicious rice meal given it's some sort of culinary well...souffle - a bomb that may go off or not. But this came out perfect - thanks to Cook's Illustrated.

All in all a perfect evening. Great company, fine conversation and food that warms the body and soul.

HRP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are checking out the Crate and Barrel catalog/store. I am sure there are some culinary must haves for Xmas there that you need to pick out and let me know what they are!!! It is going to be a CRATE AND BARREL xmas!