
I must say that although I feel drained and tired as of late - too much basketball, stressful work and home projects - I do feel awfully clever. Sort of like that warm feeling of accomplishment when something works out. "I just love it when a plan comes together." (To quote the A-Team)

Last week our furnace was gradually getting louder, audibly sneaking up on us to smack us with a noise. We had Sears come in and take a look. The $93 technician told us we needed a $140 part. Then he'd be back for $280 worth of labor. Well, after picking myself up off the floor (and knowing I can't dip into my wife's sacred camera fund - half created from our Fort Knox pile of change - $160!!!), I decided to get on the case. To make a long story short - I fixed my own furnace! Chris was nice enough to come by and lend a hand. And in 1 hour and 15 minutes I did $280 worth of work - who's paying me? Glad I avoided the rip off - although the part we bought is available at lower prices. DANG YOU SEARS!!!
Beyond this, work has just been clicking lately for me. Not that I don't dread the stress from an overly tense week (and the hollow feeling you get when you realize all your effort will get you a $5 bonus check this year). But I've been on a roll. New strategic plan, new market, huge corporate project, etc. etc. Feels good to actually make an impact here. My buddy George here - a corp seller - wants to change my title to Renaissance Man Marketing Manager. I'll settle for Marketing Oracle.
And then last night Reed and I sucessfully installed a new entertainment system shelving system - custom built. It's a Reed design - he should work for Trading Spaces or some other DIY show. It looks good. One home project down...456 to go!
HRP
PS - Please don't take this to be a self-aggrandizing, ego-boosting, show-off post. It's more of a (tongue in cheek) chance to appreciate that despite being overwhelmed lately, I've been able to at least get a couple of things done. Pretty soon I'll just be whelmed.
2 comments:
Good for you Harland. I understand that feeling on letting your house go for a while due to financial reasons and then when one little thing gets done .. and you did it... you are so very proud! Keep up the good work! I cant wait to see what you have done!
I venture to say that you have become a handyman indeed. I have had some requests out here for marketing oracles, and some handy work. How does $5.50 an hour sound? (I mean apparently it is more than a $5 bonus!)
Post a Comment