Anniversary


Whenever I log onto Wikipedia (yes I realize I put myself in the same group as Micheal from the Office when I extol the virtues of wikipedia) I check out the 'On this day...' section. It's interesting to note the historical notables on any given day - at least from Wiki's perspective. Today, as May 9th commemorated the 52nd anniversary of Victory Day in Europe. That is from a Soviet perspective. But since the 8th is VE Day in the West (realize that the time difference makes it the 9th in Moscow) I call this close enough.


I've thought a lot about WWII lately, especially with the recent passing of my Grandfather, a veteran of the Philippines. I have utmost gratitude for his, and other's sacrifice. They really stood up and defended the world in those bleak years, a blockade against tyranny and fascism. Not perfect, but definitely a noble generation. I know that I would stand up with them if I was asked to do so. I cannot say I would have the same courage my grandfather had, but I hope that his blood in my veins offers a little bit of that nobility in trial.


HRP

No comments: