1st Day of School


Although there are no Amy photos of it, I too had my first day of school this week. MBA orientation started on Friday at Lehigh University and I felt it was 1997 allover again. 10 years go by, but I still feel 18 and the new Freshman on the block! Although this time I wasn't also feeling insecure about looking for a date.

All in all though it went fairly well. It was a decent sized group, with a huge variety of backgrounds. I even met someone who lived 500 miles North of Vladivostok, Russia. The two days were a mix of into information, lectures about general topics (like ethics) and commercials for certain programs. But they were interesting too. My small team even won the case-study competition with a market development study for small electric motorbikes. So I'd say I got off to a good start. No finger paints, but good anyway.

Of course the real work starts now.

HRP



9 comments:

my rebel took over said...

I didn't think you would let me take a "first day of school" picture, because you know I'd scrapbook it like you're in kindergarten! C'mon...you know it'd be a little funny that way!

I'm really proud of you...now get to work and get this over with already!

Adi said...

ohhh it sounds like you are in for the long haul. And you project that you won just sounds code for "I thought ahead and already broughtthe teacher a gift, suckers!!!" move. hehehee. way to go.

Critchlow said...

Congrats!! That is amazing. I don't know...I think I've lost my drive for everything. I'm inpressed by yours. I am sure the A's will come in naturally with the suave way you manage to do in school. It sickens me a bit. Some of us are stupid enough to actually have to do work in school.

HRP said...

Well thanks. Although there is plenty of hard work for me in all of this! First day of my 401 class is next monday and my team already has to have a presentation prepared about a Walmart case study. Yuck! At least that course is only 5 weeks.

Critchlow said...

Dude Walmart case studies are easy. Walmarts are good because they promote natural selection. Soon the old Sam's son will pump gas into the airducts of Walmarts- thus killing the stupid people of the earth. I love that about walmart- get 'em hooked, get 'em stupid, get 'em killed.

Case in point- we received a mailer for walmart promoting the ability to cash any goverment issued check for a fee of $3. Seriously, folks you can do this free if you just open a no fee bank account. Darwin rocks!

Anonymous said...

critchlow, I understand the dislike of Walmart. In a perfect world I'd go to some local purveyor and get the personal service I love. My wife can attest that I have no problem paying extra for good service. Unfortunately, Walmart and stores like it have killed off the small shops and you're only left with the big box stores.

We have a Walmart very near our house that is probably very unsuccessful from Walmart standards (it's always empty, except for maybe Saturday afternoon) but is great for us. We buy everything from electronics to food and baby supplies regularly there.

Walmart changed the market, but from what I understand has already begun to come back to earth as its shear size is beginning to hinder it and the competition catches up. You can get up in arms about Walmart now but it will be today's Ford someday down the road. That's the way of the world.

Anonymous said...

hrp, interesting that you have team projects. How much time do you think you will need to work with your "teammates" to prepare the project? I'm assuming that everyone has normal jobs and can't spend 6-8 hours a week with their team on a project.

Anyways, congrats! I admit I don't have the desire for anymore schooling and I admire your ambition.

Anonymous said...

Wow, 1997. Still got a binky?

Critchlow said...

Hey, I am a Walmart junky. Why- one word, price.

I'm not down on Walmart but there does seem to be truth in the stereo type of, "Walmart Trash."

Food, electronics, housewares, dvds, this is all good stuff at wonderful prices. But let's face it- I ain't buying any shoes or underwear at walmart. That's trashy. You just wait till Valentines day when the store stocks itself with lovable boxers and longerie. It is the trashiest junk out there. But people buy it.

I once went to our super Walmart at 2:00 am for a medicine run. The place was packed- long lines and everything. This coming from a community that fought to keep Walmart out. The fact is price wins in the end.

I don't know about what is out east but I have fallen in love with the Walmart Neighborhood Markets. They are smaller and carry primarily food. Same great price, less crowd and no begging for toys from the little ones.

My concern is that I don't need anymore big box retailers. There is space in our community for building a nice outside market but the developer wants to put in a big box retail store. We already have Kohls, Kmart, Walmart, HomeDepot, Lowes, Target, Old Navy, ToysRUs, Barnes & Noble, Staples, Office Depot, Michaels, Big 5, Hobbie Lobby, Garts Sports, and on and on and on. What more big box do I need? Sure this will drive competition, but I admit had I not moved out of my previous house that was closer to the shopping area I would be really upset. Now I am away from the shopping areas I don't so much care- my perspective has changed. All the same it isn't needed.

In addition, Walmart look out- last I heard was that London's verson is coming to America. Great- another big box.