Thanksgiving, hosted a training, trip to Germany, trip to Atlanta, Christmas shopping, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Christmas Day dinner, staying up late with Adi, Melting Pot, Aquarium, put up and take down Christmas decorations, New Year's sleepover at S&B's, back to work - oh and 1 final, 1 exemption test and starting 2 new classes. But it was a fantastic season. I have had the time of my life, especially with my wife and daughters. And I expect a nice bonus from work too!
I start off this year with a little retrospection and introspection. A good friend of mine asked me recently about how I manage taking risks in my life. That is, if we truly want to learn and experience new things, from new topics of study to things like love, how can we manage that risk - running to the edge of our light and stepping into the darkness - never to return to the land we surrendered again. I though a good deal about this, and answered my friend in two ways. First I sent the introduction of the book I'm writing. I won't get into it now, but it describes some of my desires to continually better myself.
Secondly, I sent them this picture, as I felt it best described my philosophy of life.
I may not adventure out too far into the darkness. I have no need to put everything on the line on things I have established as my foundation: my family, my religious faith, love, etc. But from this 'base of operations' I can venture into the unknown to experience, to taste, to learn and to even fail. And if, or when I fail, I can come back to the home fires, lick my wounds and heal up to leave again. And of course the home fort is a fun - cool place to be.
Perhaps I'm not completely clear in this, I hope you can understand the essence of what I mean though. Because inside perhaps there is a method to balance commitment and independence, adventure and comfort, risk and reward.
Here's to a new year of venturing out.
HRP
3 comments:
I think I really like the picture. It's a little out there for me, I mean possibley a little TOO sci-fi for me, so I'm not sure I want it hanging above my couch, but it speaks so well to what we were talking about, doesn't it? In that way, I love it, and I think we need to find something like this (but not necessarily this exact one) for our house...
so you don't want it over your couch...but above the bed would work right? .....:)
lol!!!!
Post a Comment