I've been meaning to post some words and pictures of my recent adventure in West Virginia, but have been so bogged down in life I am somewhat delinquent. But the memories are still there, so I will share my winding road through the backwoods of this state. I had promised a distributor of ours to participate in a trade show in WV this fall, where I would be a speaker / trainer for their continuing education units. The focus for me was disinfection programs, and I dutifully prepared some creative approaches to the discussion. I am trying to shy away from strict power point presentations - but that is another topic.
The conference was at Snow Shoe Resort in WV, and I had to fly in to Charlottesville, VA, rent a car Sunday afternoon, drive 3 hours to the resort and stay the night. I spoke at 3pm Monday, and drove back for a 6am flight Tuesday to Chicago. I was only in WV really for just under 24 hours.
![]() |
| Looking out from the Confederate Ridge line |
The drive in to the mountains was gorgeous. You leave the Shenandoah Valley (becoming a favorite of mine) and start winding up and down the mountain chain. I zipped around these forest curves, and raced over the tops, sometimes stopping for a breathtaking view. One stop was at a former camp and breastwork of Confederate forces. This required a step out of the car and a hike up the ridge line; a necessary respite.
As you drive off of the mountains you enter little valleys, some long and maybe a mile across, others are little more than several large fields. I was delighted in these quick views, passing first trailer homes, than a home or two, finally a small village or even county seat town, and back out the other way. I would swell with pride at the care and pride some homes showed, and at other times feel a little sheepish at the clear poverty littering the yards of run down trailers.
![]() |
| A church in one of the mountain valleys with the sunset |
At the bottom of the mountains near the resort I went through a smalling company town, now a State park, that once belonged to a logging company. First you'd cross the railroad tracks, past the large, white sided company store, and then through the gridded streets with cookie-cutter, single-story, white washed homes, a deck protruding out the front. Some were park offices, others clearly storing boxes behind the windows. Others were cabins for rent, and finally some occupied by families, sitting on the front steps. But they were all clean and I was taken back to the 1950's as the workers and their families came and went.
The resort inn at stayed at turned out to be off the mountain backed up with some supply stores and cows and buffaloes. I found myself with no internet, no cell service and little to do but watch some tv and sleep early. The Snow Shoe Resort was beautiful, great vistas, modern facilities and a bit crisp. I set up, shopped (girls got some games, Amy a glass-blown vase, and me a set of Madagascar mahogany cuff links), had some hot cocoa and then gave my class. Went very well. The small group I had (due to a mix-up and absence of a previous instructor), thought it one of the best sessions there. And then I raced off through he mountains before dark.
So you know, I made it back all right to VA and out of the mountains before dark. But some adventure on the way. Coming into the main valley off the resort mountain I looked left to see a giant array dish, fairly out of place for this area with no cell or radio service. I decided to track it down and discovered it was part of the NRAO Green Bank, a facility focused on researching x-rays and other signals from space. A lot of SETI work for extraterrestial life (maybe they should just aim down a little more :) ). I stopped in the visitor center and walked some of the displays. Quite a facility; lots of scientists, an airfield and a requirement for no local radio stations or radio devices. Explains the static.
![]() |
| NRAO Green Bank |
![]() |
| Dirt Road |
![]() |
| Anyone want to buy? |
I made it back to the Shenandoah valley, a dinner at Cracker Barrel and a good night sleep. And although I make jokes about my time in WV, I must say that everyone I met and drove by was extremely kind and helpful. Maybe next time I'll stay a while.
HRP





2 comments:
I am the only one that thinks that kind of looks fun! at least just for a little, short while. Minus the lack of cell phone coverage of course.
I thought it sounded fun too. But I guess it'd be more fun with someone.
Happy to see you blogging again.
Post a Comment