The Big Easy

National WWII Museum
The Big Easy. New Orleans. I cannot say I felt excitement visiting this bastion of Mardi Gras, beads and sunken roads. I have harbored no desire to come, but work requires a visit. Despite my reluctance, I must say that the most was made out of the trip and I enjoyed myself. Of course the large contingent of coworkers helps; we had over 90 employees from around the US and world attending the water show in the city’s convention center – long cleaned up and improved from those images from post-Katrina residences.


I’ll save you a long description of the show and my work there. Although it must be said that we had a gigantic booth, lots of products, lots of guests in and out and generally a successful time. The show and related events drove my schedule, with dinners, hospitality events, 4 hour booth duty assignments and even some time off. I walked the massive show (somewhere near 75 rows if I remember correctly), and saw customers, colleagues, interesting products and some giveaways. I even saw the perfect septic solution for the cottage on Hay Island. But that’s for another entry.
We stayed in the Marriott on Canal Street, downtown nestled between the water front, French Quarter, Warehouse district and the bawdy Bourbon Street. The first two days I generally missed all of these, spending time working and walking the show, and in meetings. Monday night we entertained 250+ guests on a rented-out Natchez steamboat that traveled through the port. Mostly drinking and dining, although the bread pudding was delicious and we paid a visit to the old engine room, complete with steam-driven pistons working the paddle wheel right above the water line.
Tuesday afforded a little flexibility and time away from the show in the afternoon. I walked over to the French Quarter, a mix of Parisian-esque, three-storied, balconied buildings, antique shops, restaurants and seedy, dingy back alleys. I breakfasted on the proverbial beignets, caked in powdered sugar, in a garden café. Delicious, but not better than the ones we’ve made at home.

New Orleans Style Beignet Recipe
1 Envelope Active Dry Yeast
3/4 Cup Water (110 degrees F)
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar

Beignet's in New Orleans. This is my horse friend...

1/2 tsp Salt
1 Beaten Egg
1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk
3 1/2 - 3 3/4 Cups A.P. Flour
1/8 Cup Shortening
Vegetable Oil for Frying
Powdered Sugar in a shaker or sifter

Combine the Yeast, Water, and Sugar in the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (You could also make this in a food processor, or the old fashioned way, by hand). Let this sit until frothy, about 5 minutes, then add the Salt, Egg, and Evaporated Milk. Mix on low speed, then add half of the flour until it starts to come together, then add the shortening. When the shortening is incorporated start adding the remaining flour, a little at a time until most of it is incorporated. At this time I always turn the dough onto a floured bench to finish by hand, just like when I make bread; it’s a touch thing. Knead the dough adding just enough flour as necessary to make a non-sticky, smooth dough. Place the dough into a large oiled bowl, loosely cover and let rise (I made mine last night and let it rise overnight in the refrigerator).


After the dough has doubled in bulk, punch it down and turn it onto a floured surface and roll out into a rectangle that is about 1/2″ thick. With a very sharp knife working at a diagonal to the rectangle, cut into 2″ wide strips. Now cut into diamond shapes by making diagonal cuts in the opposite direction. Place the Beignets on a floured baking sheet to let rise about 40 minutes in a warm place (I place them in a barely warm oven).

When the Beignets have risen, heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil in a large saucepan to 350-360 degrees. Place 2-3 Beignets into the hot oil at a time, being careful not to smash or deflate them. When they are golden brown, flip them over until golden brown on the other side (They go pretty quickly so start checking them right after they go into the oil). Remove to paper towel lined plates to drain. Serve hot topped with plenty of powdered sugar (because the dough doesn’t contain much sugar, you will want a lot!). Enjoy! Makes about 2 dozen.

That afternoon Paul, Andy and I left the show and headed down Higgens Blvd (namesake of the Higgens boat manufacturer during WWII) and spotted a trendy, upscale Southern / French-Cajun eatery to try out; Cochon. It took a moment to navigate the menu, with offerings like fried oyster and bacon sandwich or the fried hogs head cheese. But we settled on some smaller dishes to pass and share along with cornbread, root beer on tap, hot pepper vinegar and homemade hot sauce. The dishes included vinegar cucumbers with mint, smoky and spicy pork ribs with pickled watermelon, a mushroom salad with fried beef jerky and lemons, eggplant and shrimp gratin casserole, and finally fired alligator with garlic aioli. Delicious!

Lunch at Cochon
Paul and I, satisfied with the light and intriguing lunch, hit the National WWII museum for a couple of hours. It is still modest and a growing museum, but had some intriguing exhibits and artifacts. I enjoyed the original speeches, maps and letters; such as Roosevelt’s December 8th speech to Congress. The enigma machine I would love to replicate as an office display model, or the examples of troop weapons. I particularly paid attention to the Pacific War exhibits, as I looked for how my grandfather related to his time in the Philippines and during the Japan occupation. They had very little specifically about Cebu Island where he fought, but a good deal on Operation Olympic where his division was scheduled to invade Kyushu Island and suffer huge losses. Of course the atomic bombs eliminated that need.

There is a movie-experience at the museum produced and narrated by Tom Hanks about how the war pushed America to make difficult decisions and expend huge resources in terms of blood, materials and emotional and moral fatigue. Beyond all Boundaries is labeled a 4D experience, with shaking chairs, fake snow and replica equipment that lifts up or descends in front of the screen. It was a poignant film, with the mix of animation and war-reel footage causing you to think. The most telling moment was as Hanks described the upcoming invasion of Japan and the projected casualties for Americans and Japanese, and the theatre goes pitch-black. “The invasion never happened.” And a brilliant white flash burns in to your vision as it flashes an atomic blast. As you realize what happened, and can only see silhouettes of viewers (victims?) in front of you, your seat rattles and a wave of wind hurls at your face. One of the best depictions of that history to ingrain the impact of the event.

Tuesday night we ate at Brennan’s, a long established New Orleans eatery that was overpriced and not quite worth the creole shrimp, onion soup, and bananas foster I had. But I suppose you need to experience it once – especially being the birth-place of the famed flambéed dessert.

Wednesday was more show, and despite my desire to wander the French Quarter, I ended up taking Andy, AJ and Dede on a repeat of Wednesday afternoon. Cochon and museum included. Although this time we also tried pickled shrimp with pesto-cabbage salad, chicken-andouille sausage and boudin (a pork-rice sausage ball fried). On both occasions I sent a video message to my girls back home – with my Littlest-Pet-Shop companion included (picked out by Abby because it had blonde hair like them).

That evening we kicked off our new business unit with a dinner at Arnaud’s in a private room, similar to the previous evening, including the banana’s foster at the end (not as good). The restaurant is on Bourbon Street, so we decided to walk it up and down. Not impressed. Drinking, beads, bands (some sounded good – others bad knock-offs), and cheaply dressed men and scantily dressed women trying to entice you to check out “the best club on the street.” We declined, chuckled, and wandered back.

Because I am avoiding a detailed work discussion, I will only say that Thursday was an all-day hotel conference room meeting. A race to the airport, and I pulled in to my driveway at 2:45 Friday morning. Yikes – long week. I sure do miss the girls and Amy while I am away. Amy is so good about my travel, takes great care of the house and the girls. I really appreciate her. But it is nice to sneak in to your own bead, curl up next to your wife and be home again.

HRP

In the Marriott Men's Bathroom...hmmm

1 comment:

Adi said...

okkk so maybe they have ok food down there...I still have no interest if I can just get my big brother to recreate the recipes!