Graphically innovative

I am constantly looking at and trying out new things. I wander books and the web looking at new ideas that can help be a little more creative or innovative at work or in other places. (like this innovation app from IDEO) Sometimes an image or thought that will start me down a new road. Recently I read an article in Harvard Business Review that discussed graphic recording/facilitation as a means to help communicate understanding in meetings. I loved the premise and I have long strived to improve the training sessions I give. So I decided to go down this road.

Last year I was asked to teach disinfection chemistry to our inside teams - a daunting task for people with mostly mechanical engineering backgrounds or experience. I created a class that used large posters of "element boxes" to create a periodic table of the disinfectants. This worked very well because the main objective was to show the pros/cons of all the types and people stepped through the thought process visually. I have since repeated this (in WV) and most recently last week at our partner training.

Periodic Table of Disinfection with the Price is Right game underneath
But this graphic facilitation idea excited me. The idea is to create a visual record during the meeting that captures the training and thoughts. It is collaborative, ongoing process that the attendants "own" and can relate to after. Retention then increases and you can even send out the final map as an image. I was required to teach a 2 hour session last week on value selling - something required for our products. This is teaching people how to sell and make more money for the added-value a product provides a customer. It included Value Propositions, Value equations, value chain, etc. I already have given this training, and it has lots of interactive or break-out activities. But I thought it was a perfect candidate for graphic facilitation.

I bought the book Visual Meetings by David Sibbet which outlines using graphics to develop understanding in all kinds of meetings. I love this book - and think it should be a requirement in any manager's library. I devoured it and even began practicing for my own notes/work:

Process for my new job

Brainstorm for new job
I bought the required materials: 3' roll of plotter paper, Mr. Sketch markers (yum), chalk (borrowed from my girls). I practiced in our hallway and learned a bunch on what to do (colors, tips, what to leave out, sizes of drawings, etc). I do have some artistic ability, but I found that it isn't really required for this. The drawing is much more natural - like a good pictionary drawing, simple to understand and conveys meaning.  So you should be able to try this!

Last Wed I conducted this training post lunch (the dreaded time slot esp following BBQ). And it went really well! I sure was nervous, but found my rhythm. I used break-out times to add details and finished it up after class. The students loved the session - and complimented me on my creative approaches to keep them engaged (except one who didn't like that we did sales training at all). We took photos and sent it out. I present to you the final version.


3' x 20' Poster on Value Selling
I taught three times last week (disinfection above, value selling and utility water treatment) using a variety of flip charts (pre-written and on-the-spot), graphic facilitation, white board, break-outs, etc. I'm really getting to enjoy this. We are going to try a version with the youth during a youth retreat in November. There are a lot of other things I am trying out now too - like visual templates for capturing customers' goals, vision, needs, etc. as also scorecard dashboards, etc. too much fun - (and you should see my office right now - I have post-it flip charts hanging around with different strategy mapping visualized for my new job).

HRP

2 comments:

my rebel took over said...

Your brain is a fascinating place (That's supposed to be a compliment).

After watching you go through this book and practice, I would argue that you do need some smidgeon of artistic ability to do it with the ease that you do.

HRP said...

When you mean fascinating place, are you talking like, "oh here we are at the natural history museum and I want to stay here all day and learn about whales and dinosaurs and trees and lemurs and what is that it is so cool..." or are we talking about fascinating like a reality tv show where you are hypnotized by incredible bizzareness of the people and their antics and you wonder how someone can actually live like that?
Because you sleep next to this brain and some of that "fascination" may just spill over on to your side.
By the way I have a new idea for our house! :)