I love getting out on the water up here in Canada. It's peaceful and pleasant. Even on the rougher days, where the steady rocking against the waves on forty acres seems more like an adventure than a nuisance. Grandpa, Reed, Jeff & I have taken some fishing expeditions here, in the hopes of catching small-mouth bass. And as Reed said, fishing is like golf; good weather, good company and it doesn't matter the score. Especially because I have yet to catch anything but the hideous, and over-running Goby fish (which you cannot return to alive). There have been some fantastic fish caught, including three bass now filleted in the fridge, and one that as Reed measured it against his foot (I was only kidding) made the great escape. We have mostly just sacrificed many a poor earthworms, some flinged off in a cast, others slowly nibbled to death, and a couple dragged along the bottom.
Now I am a meat-eater - love the red, white and pink! Grilled, roasted, fried, etc. etc. And I am not a softy when it comes to animals - I'm pro animal testing (it's a must in drug development) for animals raised to some purpose (food, fur, etc) and anti-annoying dogs that nip my heals. But I have a soft spot deep down. As you hook the worms onto those barbs I get a little uneasy. Not that I'm committing some egregious UN crime - but that it might be a touch too cruel in my book. And when we catch a fish - I'm all for filleting and frying. But I don't like watching it lay in the boat gasping for air (or air in water rather).
I am not going to write any petition or abstain from a pleasant activity. I just prefer to change how I do it. It's fake lures for me usually - (they don't get lost and if nobody is catching anything with worms, you might as well try something else). And I like a quick dispatch when possible.
I suppose this is why I have mixed emotions about my hunting. I think the sport would be intriguing (especially with black-powder or bow), and I would use/eat what I killed. But I'll leave that to others - I don't really have a need (not that there is anything wrong with it).
HRP
No comments:
Post a Comment