The Love of the Dance


I've been contemplating my love of dance lately. I started real dancing in high school - and I'm not talking about the standing in a dark gym, rocking back and forth with a girl you aren't sure really wants to dance with you. (Although those were good times - I can still remember dancing with Abigail in 7th grade to "Save the Best for Last") I'm talking about the learning a dance, and beginning to move as a couple. Lindsey W and I were partners in a swing dance choreography for a ward show. I began to love swing then, the stunts, the flow.
Then in college it took a more serious turn. It started with teaching each other going country swing dancing on a date with my grandparent's neighbor. Then it was swing dancing and finally - after picking up a flyer about the International Folk Dance Team - I joined a new world. Instantly I loved learning Russian, Ukrainian, English, American, and other dances. With choreography and a growing knowledge of how to dance my appreciation of dancing with a partner increased.
Dancing began as a purely social activity - an extension of dating and spending time with girls. I then began to see how incredible it could be. It's very personal, intimate when you get into it. One of my favorite partners was Kathy, who was on the Ballroom Dance Team. Dancing with her was one of the first times I ever just 'clicked' with a partner.
And I remember the 1st dance with Amy as husband and wife. I can't explain fully what that was like - a deep, close experience.
I don't dance much these days - and I regret it. We get a country dance night out occasionally. And Nikki was kind enough to give us dance lessons at a community center for my b-day. I'd like to do more. Perhaps get into a club like PEERs. They have some cool activities (but unfortunately are in San Fran) But when I do, I rekindle my love of dance. A chance to make a connection. Whether I'm pushing my wife across a crowded dance floor or dancing with one of my girls in the living room - I love to dance.
HRP

No comments: