Freedom - and all that stuff

I spent a gorgeous afternoon in the North End of Boston. Business took me towards a sunny, yet mild day in this cradle of democracy, revolution and America, but since the trip has been on paper I have felt drawn here. The first Ponds settled south of Boston in Dedham, Mass. Part of Bradford's colony - they were originals. Fought in the wars against Indians and French. I felt this call from the dust to visit a land where the Ponds first touched American soil, first defended it and even bled on it. I strolled part of the brick-lined 'Freedom Trail,' that meanders on towards Bunker Hill with it's impressive monument. Not long, and I stood on the wooden deck of the USS Constitution - the oldest, commissioned vessel in the world. And although it was finished years after the Revolutionary War - it reminded me of the great history of this town - and also my semi-ignorance to the full history. I intend to crack open 1776 this next week and fix that.

But in all this it was difficult not to feel that patriotic - and often stubborn - Pond blood coursing through my veins. We've often stood on the side of freedom and democracy - whether through taking up arms or just trying live and preach the principles. We've carved out, painfully, our own freedom of religion (no ACLU then) to practice as we saw fit. I am humbled to come from those who have taken up arms in defense of this country. But I feel also those voices from the dust demanding I stand up for these principles - to first understand those moral and democratic foundations and then to support them in any way possible.

I have not spent enough time exploring Boston, but this trip has been impressive in my mind. The monuments erected, the sites preserved are placed to strike a memory and call us to support all that is American and moral. And they have done so in me this week.

HRP
PS - on a side note. I did eat at a mexican restaurant in Milford, Mass that is owned by the parents of Erik Sullivan of Malcom in the Middle fame. Cool beans! (Well cool refried beans)

1 comment:

Adi said...

Although I am very happy to hear how much you have discovered and felt on this trip-it does sound like you have had way to much time on your hands. Do I need to talk to your supervisor about your commmitment to the job?