Certifiable Sane

Depsite my personal religious beliefs and philosophical framework, I allow for a moderate ammount of Eastern philosophy to seep in. Mainly kharma. I must say that I have a semi-firm belief that what goes around comes around. Perhaps it can be defined as an effort to shift the balance of negative and positive inputs into the world towards the positive...and then the positive will come back. Or maybe it's just an ideal in the hopes that I'll score big in the lottery of fate. Whatever the reason, I believe kharma is an appeal to our sense of justice in the world. That we strive to be honorable and kind and hope the same is returned. A sort of expansion on the Golden Rule..."Do unto others so that they'll do the same unto you."
There are several areas I feel this draw most keenly.
The first is love. That as we love, we are loved in return. It is difficult to remain a stubborn stone against never ending waves of love. Eventually your dull, hard exterior is erroded and it penetrates. As I improve my ability to show love, others love better too.
Secondly - smiles. They are contagious. Just run the experiment and smile at everybody.
Thirdly - Blood. I see this as a sort of oil pipeline. If I put in my pint, I am allowed to withdraw when I need it (or my daughter). Only problem is, because I lived in Europe for several years I am barred from donating. They think I may have Jakob-Kreutzfeld - better known as Mad Cow Disease (Amy keep your comments to yourself...I do NOT have it).
Lastly - First Aid. If I know how to help and give aid in an emergency, I have a belief - however deluded - that someone will if I need their help. So I try to know what to do and be prepared (I need to keep latex gloves around again). A big thanks to Nikki for running the Red Cross Certification. Let's do it again!
And just in case you are not up-to-date on your lizard rescue techniques, please see the following. You never know when your pet may need help.
HRP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can do it again. How about I try to schedule it for January?? That way our year is really up. Also, we might have to do it at the red cross as Linda is pregnant and I am not sure she is up to that kind of thing, but I will ask!

my rebel took over said...

You have been watching WAY too much My Name Is Earl with this Kharma schtuff.

I'll leave the Mad Cow bit alone...you know I've got a good one too!

I'm all for the CPR class again. January sounds good to me. I'd offer to host it (if Linda's up to it!), but can you imagine trying to fit us AND the dummies in my house?! It might actually be funny...How to do CPR if you're on the Subway in rush hour.

HRP said...

I won't say anything about calling your family dummies. That's just not nice.
;)
Jan's good for me...I guess. Can't plan out too far in advance.