Deep in the Heart of Texas



I’ve found myself finally coming to the Big ‘Ol state of Texas, and finding I rather like it here. My work has brought me out to Houston and Texas City to give a presentation at one of our refinery customers. The experience has been quite educational, but a little stressful, seeing as this is one of my biggest presentations yet. A critical time to shine. (This entry really isn’t about my performance, but I did perform very well…they seemed to like it – the room of 14 people – and I got great feedback. Kudos to me!)
The trip to the city is a first – despite several fly-through’s at the airport – and I enjoy the Texas hospitality, the Texas BBQ and the weather. A couple years ago I interviewed with Celanese Chemical for a job out here in Houston (heck I spent all day at Celanese in Bay City touring the acrylic acid unit), and now realize it wouldn’t have been bad at all to land here. Houses are cheap and nice (a 3 bedroom, family home STARTS at $130k!) and the people fantastic. I like how courteous they are, friendly and cheerful. If you need help, they are willing to go the extra mile. If you compliment them – they are gracious. These are traits that at times are rare to discover in NJ. Plus, as I mentioned, the BBQ is delicious, as also the Mexican! And although I could live here, I’d never become a Texan or Dallas Cowboy fan.
The stay at the hotel as been interesting. The Marriott is packed to the brim with people, some business travelers, but mostly displaced New Orleaners. It’s an interesting mix of people. Those displaced refugees(?) generally have little to do, so they spend time hanging around the atrium, at all levels, and in the pool. I had little sleep the first night from an overly boisterous bunch next door to me. I have mixed emotions about it all.
My time out here in Texas will come to an end soon – but I like my visit to the lone-star state. Maybe I’ll become a remote Texan! Wear the big boots, Texas grin and hat.
Or maybe not.
HRP

No comments: