
I used to have hobbies. And I mean real ones. The things that keep you engaged and you dedicate time to, and in the end have something to show for it. There was drawing and painting - almost all kinds of art (can't afford a kiln to do pottery though). And reading and writing (ok - I haven't given up on the reading - I do read voraciously). And all manner of outdoor activities, and water sports. Oh, and cooking! But then came the great hobby…Amy, and nothing has been the same.
There is now diaper changing, and simple cooking on a budget, and still Amy. I’ve dabbled in lawn mowing, room painting, home repair, picking out clothes for babies, etc. So…if I had a hobby, what would it be?
Well…the girls and I were walking around the camping store yesterday – a quick constitutional to help alleviate Amy from the girls – and I saw my two favorite sections. The guns (but that’s not for this post) and camping/hiking. Oh I miss those drag a pack into the mountains and roughing it days. There were the Henry, Appalachian, Allegheny, Wasatch and a host of other mountain ranges. I love putting it all in on pack, and seeing the scenery slowly unfold. Then you stop and enjoy a rehydrated meal on a nifty camp stove. And you sleep under a blanket of stars.
I wanted to buy the whole store out…backpack, stove, food, sleeping bag, etc. etc. Then I’d grab my camera and wonder around with Amy through nature. Taking pictures!
But my hobbies are more realistic these days. Being a father and a husband. And making money. But that’s ok – they are the best hobbies. Plus one day soon I can test out camping in the backyard with girls. And then in the morning when I wake up and they are all jumbled around me…ummm…it gets me verklempt.
HRP
1 comment:
Come on Harland, let's hear more about the gun section! I have only recently gained a love of camping, we ought to go sometime! There are some nice not-to-fancy and not-to-far-from-civilization-with-too-many-hyphen's-camping-area's-around-me! I saw your little comment and posted again on my blog.
Post a Comment