
Adi wrote on her post about life being stagnant. And asking "Is that all there is?" No I don't think that's a question flying in the face of religious beliefs, but rather an honest frustrations of being caught in the "Groundhog Day" syndrome. The monotony of regular life. I empathize with that position. However, lately I've felt the opposite. From the Laws of Thermodynamics we know that life always changes, and generally degrades. That is Entropy increases (check your old science book). I've felt that way recently - capped off with my finishing the movie "Lord of the Rings - Return of the King." The end of the movie was great - a culmination of fantastic scenes and great acting. However, the very end, when (SPOILER!!) Frodo, Gandalf and Bilbo leave with the elves is rather poignent. What got me was the goodbye between the deep friends Frodo and Sam. That the will always cherish their friendship, but feel the heart pains of never going back to earlier times.
This made me think about those periods I can never return to. The friends that I will never see again, never laugh with, cry with or enjoy life with again. We end chapters in our lives and move onto other things. Sometimes the change doesn't seem large - change a job, or someone moves - but they can leave large holes in our hearts as we long to have an absence filled. I remember my flight home from Germany after my mission. I was excited about the future, school, getting married, heck- just sleeping in. But I was sad too. Leaving behind friends, not lifetime friends because we have lost touch, but deep friends. Friends you share incredible experiences with, experiences that touch eternity, although our time together is fleeting. Melencholy grows as I think of this.
And it is all the more strong when I look at my daughters. One year ago (next week) they were born. Our experiences have been strange and hard, and beautiful and joyous since then. But I can't have my little little girls back. They change too, and although I love the next stage (they are so darling) you miss a piece that gets left behind.
I look forward to the time it will stay the same - Eternity. When friendships and family are together forever. When we say goodbye no longer. You can't live in the past...but a view of entropy makes you appreciate that "this is all there is now."
HRP
No comments:
Post a Comment